Thursday, May 12, 2016

Nanaimo: it's time we
had the Strong Towns conversation

Toby Dougherty, City Manager of Hays KS: Early last year my staff and I conducted a comprehensive fiscal analysis of the city using Strong Towns tactics and attitudes. The result was a bit of a paradigm shift as we were tasked with pointing out that, what most people saw as an asset--new growth--could be viewed as a liability. It was quite a wakeup call and not received well by everyone. The exercise also resulted in a much better understanding of our finances, what drives revenues and what drives costs. After the initial rollout to the City Commission, they asked that I do everything possible to inform the public. The intent of the document was to have something to handout when I spoke to the Rotary, Kiwanis, Optimists, Chamber lunch…

 
Read more: Presenting the Hays Document — Strong Towns


2 comments:

  1. YES!

    Thank you for sharing. Please let us know where we can help.

    -Chuck Marohn
    President of Strong Towns

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Chuck. I have forwarded this post to Nanaimo Mayor, Council and City Manager. I know they wrestle with the same challenges the Hay City Manager describes. Haven't heard back but I'll be sure to keep you and your organization updated.

    ReplyDelete